Saturday, December 14, 2013

Tasting Notes on my homebrewed Chocolate Molé Stout


On 16 August, 2013, I brewed a Chocolate Molé Stout. After fermentation was complete, it was transferred to a secondary fermenter. At that time I seeded and sliced up two Pablano (another common name are Ancho) pepper and oven-roasted them. I also seeded and sliced two addition peppers. After the peppers that I roasted were charred, I removed them from the over. I added the contents of both the fresh and roasted peppers into the secondary fermenter with the beer. A mistake that was made while transferring the beer was I accidentally knocked a water canteen off of my table into the secondary fermenter with the beer. Luckily no infection happened. I've been drinking it on and off the past month, as well as my many other homebrews. I just wanted to provide some notes on the beer for my readers.



As the beer was opened, there was very little gas that escaped from the bottle. The Chocolate Molé Stout pour black and opaque with very little head that dissipates almost completely from the beer only leaving a slight lacing on the glass. Good amounts of earthy aromas (I feel comes from the Fuggle hops and the chili pepper used in the mash), cayenne (hot), and peppery (vegetable or green) spices comes to the nose as well as hints of chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. As the beer hits the palate, a slight cayenne (hot) pepper as well as roasty flavours are present. As the beer rolls over the palate, hints of sweet dark caramels, toffee, dark pitted fruits, and chocolate are present. Off the back the palate, some peppery (vegetable or green) flavours comes forward as well as some warming hot cayanne (hot) peppers. The beer has a medium mouthfeel and body, but a good amount of carbonation, which was strange because the lack of a head. This definitely has a lot going on in it.



Some of the things that I was looking for in this beer was more body, deeper chocolates, and more head. Changes that I may or may not do in this beer are: (i) use lactose to give more body and some sweetness, (ii) not use a hot chocolate mix, and (iii) make my own mole to use in the boil. I like the grain bill for this beer, so I will want to keep this the same. Ideas that I have for the mole in the boil is to add dried Ancho chiles, cocoa nibs, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, ground nutmeg and possibly some ground coriander, cumin, and anise seed (as these might muddy up the flavours). Overall, I am happy aboot this beer, but I also see improvements (as I always do) can be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment