Saturday, February 2, 2013

Review of Bell's Dagger Stout

During my trip up to Michigan, I had the chance to stop by Bells Brewery Eccentric Café. It has been some time since I have been to Bells, probably aboot 10 years. This place is amazing, being the top micro in Michigan, now with an expanded music venue to add.



I wanted to grab something that I could not get anywhere other than the brewery. From looking at the beer board, I knew that my choices were going to be tough, but once I laid my eyes on the Dagger Stout, I know that I had to try.
 
Sitting at the bar, until we could find an open table the beer came in a snifter.



Appearance: Inky black with a garner-burgundy hue as I tip the glass. A slight lacy head around the edge of the beer that linned the glass with each sip
 
Aroma: Sweet malts and roasty malts dominated the beer with relatively no hop aroma. A small amount of dark fruits come to the nose.
 
Taste: Roasted coffee up front with a dark chocolate as the beer washes over the palate. Slight sweet caramel and dark fruits notes come through in the back of the palate.
 
Mouthfeel: The sweet malts and dark chocolate lingers on the palate with a bit of an alcohol solvent warmness and balanced out with the hops that was not present on the nose. The low carbonation allows the sweet malt to sit and adhere to the tongue in this full-body beer.
 
Overall: A complex stout that was very enjoyable. Comparable with the Expedition Stout, but different enough to stand out on it's own.

No comments:

Post a Comment