Sunday, October 16, 2011

Teaching Friends how to Brew!

Teach Friends How to Brew

A lot of times I don't feel the necessity to brew beer for myself. My altruistic behavior wants me to share and have other people enjoy the fruits of my labor. I enjoy sharing my brew and with this batch that I am brewing, I get to share my knowledge of brewing. The batch that we brewed this weekend was a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. It is not the imperial style, because I only have 3 weeks for it to be ready for a Halloween shin-dig that my friends wants it for. The brew date for this batch was 10.09.11. I want to acknowledge my friend and colleague Kaitlin Uppstrom for the rad photos that she took with her macro.


This brew is similar to the Imperial Oatmeal Chocolate Stout that I brewed last November in that it has a lot of the same grains and adjuncts. With this brew, I changed up the hop varieties and cut back on the yeast. Five days prior to this brew I started the smack pack of Wyeast strain 1084 Irish Ale and the next day I made a starter that had a specific gravity of 1.044. The morning of brew day, I crushed the grain, loaded my equipment and drove it from my home in Cincinnati to Oxford, OH for brewing.

My grain bill for this particular brew is the following:



8# Pale Malt (2-row) US
2# Munich Malt 10-L
1# Flaked Barely
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Flaked Oats
0.25# Caramel/Crystal 60
0.25# Caramel/Crystal 120
0.25# Roasted Barely
1# Rice Hulls


After I got all my equipment set-up for brew day, I prepared my mash water of 172°F for mash in and added it to preheat my mashtun and to the hot water storage tank. While this taken place, I also made oatmeal out of the flaked oats and barley. After the mashtun was preheated, I drained it and added my grains and oatmeal. I added 17 quarts of hot water to the grain and made sure that there were no dough balls and took a temperature reading. The temperature was low at 148°F, so I boiled another gallon of the stove and added it to the mash to bring the temperature up to 156°F.



During steeping of the grains in the mash Kaitlin and I went and tended bees. With this being the fall, and bees having limited nectar resources, the bees were angry. All that we were wanting to do is to check for the queen and add anti-mite strips to the colony. We are eventually going to prepare the bees for winter and split the hive, so that I will have a hive next spring and be able to extract honey for multiple mead making experiences!



During the run-off I did a Vorlauf to clear the beer and after the run-off of the wort, I weighed out the hops and cocoa nibs that I am using for this brew:


0.67 oz. Magnum [14.00% AA] at 60 min.
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50% AA] at 15 min.
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.20% AA] at 5 min.
3.7 oz. Cocoa Nibs at 15 min.
0.25 oz Irish moss at 15 min.





With my preboil being low of a 1.050, I decided to have a longer boil (70 min.) to bring up my. efficiency. I added my hops and adjuncts to the boil at the given times and started the cooling process with my wort chiller. Once the wort was down to 80°F, I sanitized the bucket, lid, and air-lock in an iodophor solution. I transferred the wort to the sanitized bucket by pouring it and allowing for plenty aeration. I added the starter to the wort, snapped on the lid, and applied the air-lock. The beer should be ready for bottling on October 23 or after.


No comments:

Post a Comment