Monday, May 9, 2011

Hop Tending

This past weekend, I finally went home to my parents to see the kids. The girls are growing so tall, it brings a tear to my eye. :') The “kids” are of course the hop plants that my parents have started on their property. In the spring of 2010 my parents started growing hops. Some of it is, of course, for me to use in homebrewing and the like. Some of them are for re-sale at Nelson's Herbs, my mum's greenhouse business.

The hops are grown in rows along guide wires. There are five rows, for five varieties, and of each variety, there are 5 vines, or rhizomes. The varieties that my parents have are: Cascade, Chinook, Hallertau Magnum, Mt. Hood, and Santium. Also, in the display gardens for Nelson's Herbs, my mum has 2 Tettnager rhizomes planted.



Last year, off of the one-year vines, I got approximately 2-paper grocery bags full. There were a little extra that my mum harvested for merchandise.


This year, when I got to the hop bed, I had to complete a couple of chores. First, trim the hops back to two or three vines for maximum production. Second, spread bedding of straw to keep moisture in. This took me aboot three hours to complete. Very pleased with what I did accomplish, I hope to have a great harvest for next year and plenty left for sale and fellow homebrewers to buy.


No comments:

Post a Comment