Sunday, April 24, 2011

Brewing of an IPA (04.17.11)

First thing apology. I apologize to the reader(s) (thanks mum) that read my blog for the lack of writing lately. I have been busily finishing up my master's thesis, starting field season for my doctorate work, and getting craft beer ready to be served at Quarter Barrel, that I haven't made time to write. So I figure that I should update my blog.

The latest brew that Brandon and I did at Quarter Barrel was a revised version of an old brew that we previously have done and is now on tap. As we do more brews on a bigger system, the better they come out and higher efficiency we get.

We still have yet to come up with a name for any of our beers. We first designed the name of the beers to be related to some sort of literature. Some of those has already been done, now we are back to square one.

The beer that we brewed recently, on April 17 (yes, I am a week behind on this) was the IPA. I have never posted the design of this beer, because, though it was a great beer, I think that it could have been improved...and we did. This version, from the latest tasting has a lot of hops up front to the nose and is an improvement to what we have done previously. Here is the IPA (for our 1 hectaliter system)


Grain Bill:
Pale 2-row (American) 62#
Munich (German) 3.5#
Carmel/Crystal 60L 2.5#
Amber Malt 2.5# (this is the substitute that was suggested for the biscuit that we would normally use)
Carmel/Crystal 120L 1.75#

Centennial 2.0 oz. (9.70% AA) First Wort Hops
Nuggett 3.5 oz (12.00% AA) at 60 min.
Millenium 2.0 oz. (15.90% AA) at 60 min.
Chinook 6.6 oz. (12.80% AA) at 15 min.
Centennial 6.0 oz (9.7% AA) at 10 min.
Simcoe 6.0 oz. (12.20% AA) at 5 min.
Amarilo 6.0 oz. (6.90% AA) at 0 min.

After loading the grain to the mashtun, with ample rice hulls for draining, we add 79-qts of 180°F water and held the mash temperature at 152°F. We then stepped up the mash temperature after 40-min steep time to 156°F and held it there for the remaining 60-min steep time. While draining to the boil kettle, the first wort hops were added. The pre-boil gravity was 1.057, which gave us a 77% efficiency. We did a 90-minute boil, adding hops at the appropriate times. The original gravity came to be 1.073, which gave us a 69% efficiency. The wort was transferred to the fermenter through a plate chiller and Fermentis US-05 yeast was added. The day before the brew, a starter was made using 5-packets of yeast.

The brewing went excellent and the taste out of the fermenter is great. We hope to have this ready to serve here in 4 weeks. We recently started kegging our beers in 3 5-gallon Cornelius kegs and a 1 5-gallon pin for cast conditioning. Right now we are serving an IPA (from the last batch), up next is a scotch ale that is really hoppy, then this recent IPA.

No comments:

Post a Comment