Friday, December 24, 2010

Brewing of Barleywine

Brewing of this beer took place on 7 Dec. 2010.  The morning was cold (around 25 °F), but calm with a dusting of snow on the ground.  This blog is a little later than anticipated.



I started brewing at 7 a.m. with boiling of water for storage in the hot water tank (modified 48-qt cooler) and crushing of grain.  The water was brought to almost a boil for storage (approximately 190 °F). It took me a total of 2 hours to crush all 26.00 lbs of grain (2 lbs at a time).  During this time I cracked open a bottle of Bashah, a collaborative brew by Stone and Brewdog.


The grain bill is as followed:


24.50 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row)
1.75 lbs. CaraMunich 80
0.75 lbs. Crystal 60L

Around 10:30, the grain was pored into the mashtun (modified 70-qt cooler), which was pre-heated with some of the already heated water.  The excess water was then poured off before the grain was poured in.  I mashed in 26-qts of water at 180 °F.  After checking the temperature of the mash, which was at 154 °F, I closed the lid, covered with a blanket, and let steep for 60 minutes.

During this time I boiled excess water for storage in the hot water tank for the sparge.  Also, during this time I opened a few bottle of homebrew to share between my friends.  After the hour was up, I drained the grain and ran a common Vorlauf to clear the wort.  I drained 7 gallons of wort off into the boil kettle (with the addition of the first wort hops), checked the pre-boil gravity (1.056), and started the boil.  The hop additions were as followed:

2.00 oz. Columbus Pellet 18.30% AA First Wort Hopping
3.00 oz. Hallertaur Magnum 14.50% AA 60 min.
1.00 oz. Centennial Whole 7.80% AA 2 min.
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.
1.00 Tsp Wyeast Yeast Nutrient

After boiling was complete, the wort was super-cooled.  For cooling, I used 4-2 L soda bottles that I add water and froze over-night.  Before dunking the bottles into the wort, they were sanitized with Iodiphor.  When the temperature reach optimal temperature of 90 °F, the wort was transferred to a sanitized food grade bucket (primary fermenter).  This is when the only mishap occured.  While transferring the cooled wort, a small flake of something fell from the towel into the wort.  Perhaps nothing will happened because of this...lets hope!  Tasting in a month will tell if the whole batch will be dumped because of infection.  A packege of Wyeast 1056 yeast (American Yeast) was pitched into the wort and was covered.  An airlock was inserted into the lid and set into the back room for fermenting.

I would like to thank a few people for showing up to participate in the brewing of this beer.  Dr. Alfredo Huerta, Marlo Jefferies and Mr. J.

No comments:

Post a Comment